The Real Thing

After living for more than 10 years in the US, I have still not learned to cook a proper turkey with all the proper fixings.Does that not make me a true American? I was talking to my daughter's music teacher and she cooks a turkey with mashed potatoes, yams , green bean casserole,cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie. She turned her nose when I mentioned having turkey cooked the Indian way.

So does that mean I am not a true American? I am not getting into stereotypes here, but there are a few things I have learnt staying here and they have become a part of my life now. Getting used to four seasons, going through a drive-through, enjoying a PB&J snack, having a Superbowl party( albeit people who came watched the game less and talked more about Rabindra Sangeet-big mistake), having a backyard barbecue( I even participated in a burger cooking contest in the town I live in and came in second), volunteer my time and even take an all inclusive vacation to Cancun and finally being a soccer mom.I don't drive a SUV, I don't know how to use tools and I don't mow my own lawn.Does that make me belong less here? Coming back to following traditions, I haven't cooked a thanksgiving dinner yet or put up a Christmas tree yet(more on that on my next post).
I love watching Food Network and notice that the Thanksgiving meal is being given various twists as the years go by.Traditions keep changing as various traditions amalgamate into a nation that is considered a melting pot. Would we scoff at turkey meatballs and polenta if Italians had started the Thanksgiving tradition? Who knows we might have a tandoori turkey one day?
Picture courtesy:http://www.mla.lib.mi.us

0 have something to add: