I so need to have that in my closet coz its on Sale!



Look, Lorax, I said.
There's no cause for alarm.
I chopped just one tree. I am doing no harm.
I'm being quite useful. This thing is a Thneed.
A Thneed's a Fine-Something-That-All-People-Need!
It's a shirt. It's a sock. It's a glove. It's a hat.
But it has other uses. Yes, far beyond that.
You can use it for carpets. For pillows! For sheets!
Or curtains! Or covers for bicycle seats!
The Lorax said,
Sir! You are crazy with greed.
There is no one on earth who would buy that fool Thneed!

I love listening to the quirky Marketplace host Kai Ryssdal He ungeeks the Wall Street into layman's terms and that's why I love him. Ok, not the romantic kind , but more like "I love the Black Forrest cake" kind. So last week he came to do a panel discussion at school and since the school sucks at catering to the working students like us, I couldn't attend the discussion on "Is Consumerism Sustainable?"
"There she goes again," the people who know me would say ."Her green blah blah blah." Why not?
Why should I not worry when crude is at record high, the dollar is going down the US economy drain and Al Gore and his cohorts won the Nobel for a powepointsy film that they created(God, he is so overrated)?
Why can't you and I buy a pair of jeans less coz they are on sale?
Why do you have to run after brands as if nothing else matters in the world( tee hee, this coming from an aspiring brand manager)?
Grrrr, why can't you recycle when you have that green bin right in your garage( it takes 10 minutes a week, the time to apply a fresh coat of polish to your manicured nails or less than the halftime in your NFL game)?
Can you keep consuming and expect that you still leave a breathable and affordable world for your grandkids?
A few things that I learnt from the marketplace report called "Consumed".
  1. If everyone in the world consumed like the average American, we'd need about six Earths to sustain ourselves.
  2. Today, we're consuming about 30 percent more trees, fish and fossil fuels than the planet can regenerate.
  3. Nineteen percent of the children in Long Beach, which is close to the mouth of US consumerism -Rotterdam port, have been diagnosed with asthma -- that's nearly double the national rate.
  4. Since we have moved from a fixable to a disposable society , the few available fix it people cost us more.
  5. A University of Arizona study found that each of us throws away more than a pound of food every day: half a hamburger here, an unused container of sour cream there... so what if the children on the other side of the world are malnutritious.
Ok people, I won't sermonize further. I just leave you with the little Green Book on the fifty tips to consume a little less and leave a better footprint.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone, consume and trash a little less this year. Aren't you thankful that you have breathable air? :)
Until next time.
Tania

1 have something to add:

Anonymous said...

Tell me about it! I see so much food being wasted in our cafeteria simply because the students won't buy half-portions, or share a full one. I cringe when I see the food go into the bin.